Another stella recipe from Sofie Van Kempen. This chick knows how to make some seriously yummy and low sugar food!
I am in love with this cake. It leaves you feeling light and satisfied. I have orange trees at home so I was over the moon to be able to use my own, fresh oranges for this one.
So easy to make and it doesn’t need any icing, it’s good on it’s own. Of course I had a piece fresh out of the oven, and it’s just too good warm!
And in Winter, we need more turmeric to help ward off the colds and flues. So this cake is an all round winner 🙂
Servings: 16-20 // prep time: 10 minutes, cooking time: 15 minutes
- 2 whole oranges
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup honey (depending how sweet you want it)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp turmeric (fresh or ground)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence or powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 170’C and line a cake/slice tin with baking paper, set aside.
- Boil whole oranges in a pot on the stove for 1 hour, drain and allow to cool.
- Blend oranges in a food processor, then add eggs, honey, vanilla, turmeric and blend again.
- Mix through almond meal and baking powder until combined.
- Pour batter into tray it will be quite wet and place in the oven.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes in the oven until golden brown. Check with a skewer.
- Allow to cool in the tin and store in the fridge for up to a week.
NOTE: this is a moist cake (don’t you love that word) so expect it to come out a little wetter then usual cakes. Also you could try flax eggs as a replacement for ‘egg’ in this recipe.